Thursday, November 15, 2007

BERKELEY BOWL

Wow. I haven't blogged in a long time. But these last weeks have been really busy, both at work and at home. The final guests (my parents) finally left yesterday, so it should be relatively quite for the next few weeks (at home, not at work. Work is busy busy). In fact, this post is from my mom's last visit, 2 weeks ago. But better late than never.

My aunt wanted to buy someone hormone, anti biotic free chicken for my cousin, Cindy. So I took this as a great opportunity to check out Berkeley Bowl, a super famous supermarket that specializes in a ton of fresh produce. It's a Bay Area institution and is always packed. When we arrived, it was around 11 in the morning and the parking lot was already full.

When you step in, you realize it's a lot like Whole Foods, except the produce section takes up like 2/3 of the store. Here's a pic of something I'd never seen before. It's called Buddha's hand, apparently it's some type of citrus.
Here some shots of some pretty produce:
Brussell sprouts still on the stalk. You see this pretty often, and I haven't quite figured out what the benefit is. Can you eat the stalk? If not, then why go through the extra work of picking them off?
And here's a shot of the poultry section. I was FINALLY able to buy some duck legs (something I couldn't find in Boston), so now I can make Mario Batali's duck ragu. And my aunt was able to get the chicken that she wanted.
Overall, I was glad that I was finally able to go to Berkeley Bowl. They had a wonderful selection of fresh produce and other products. But I don't think I'll be back any time soon. Shopping for groceries just shouldn't be so stressful.

1 comment:

Katie said...

My mom swears by brussel sprouts on a stalk - she claims they are much fresher and taste better. Speaking of Martha Stewart, she has a great recipe for Brussel Sprouts involving bacon and apples.