Wednesday, January 30, 2008

AND NOW BACK TO WORK...

Ok, we're back from our quick Vegas. And yes, we spent a lot of the time eating, but I will detail more of our trip in the later posts. You know, I'm still working on finding good places for take out. We have plenty of local restaurants where we like to go out and eat, but sometimes, I just want to pick up food on the way home. One local place that's well known for its take out is Gregoire's in Berkeley. Ok, it's honestly to far from my house to get take out on a regular week night, but on my day off, I headed over there with my cousins for a quick lunch.

This place is really well known for it's small menu and creative sandwiches (my boss likes it a lot). I'd heard that they had a couple of seats, but when we walked in, we found just three stools along a counter. This place really is designed for take out. But the three of us took a seat at the counter where we could look straight into the kitchen/prep area.

I had looked up the menu online before leaving the house. And because it was right after the new year, I was still in my "attempt to eat healthy mode" (which is really defunct after that Vegas trip). So I ordered this beet sandwich on lavash bread.
And it was actually quite good. I liked the creamy dressing it was served with, and I liked the fact that it was vegetarian. I could've made it at home for a lot less, though. My cousin ordered a lobster bisque, but she found it too salty. And I ordered a lunch out for Tom- a goat cheese and endive soup and chicken sandwich. Tom also found the soup so salty that he couldn't eat it, and he said the chicken sandwich was ok.

Overall, it's a cute place, but pretty pricey for kinda small portions. I don't know if I'll go back, but tonight I'm trying out a different take out place and hopefully, it'll turn out to be a better experience.

No comments: