Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A VISIT FROM AN OLD FRIEND

So Jayna was in town visiting last week. I didn't get to spend much time with her since I was working (though she did get to spend time with Tom exploring Berkeley), but we did get to have a nice dinner out. I decided to try a new restaurant, yet another place suggested by my co-worker, called Nizza la Bella. It's a small French bistro type place located in between my house and my work, so it's pretty convenient.

Of course, I'd checked out the menu and reviews before we went, so I already had an idea of what I wanted to order. It was a pretty cold night, so it was really nice entering this cozy space and sitting in one of their booths. I started off with what the called an anchovy salad, but it was really a Caesar salad with like extra extra anchovies.

It was all right. Nothing super special, though almost too many anchovies for me, so I gave Tom the really fishy parts (he just loves anchovies).

Then I had the grilled chicken breast with herb butter, but I really got it just to have the frites. They're supposed to be famous for their frites, and we had seen a platter of frites exit the kitchen, so they looked pretty good.
Unfortunately, the frites were served under the chicken (next time I'll ask for them on the side) which meant they came out pretty soggy. And the chicken breast wasn't anything special.

Meanwhile, Tom ordered one of their famous pizzas, which are supposed to be in the style of Lombardi's pizza in NY (one of my favorite pizzas). The one Tom got was a white pizza with lots of cheese, anchovies and fresh basil.
It looks pretty good with decent bubbling and char, but when I actually had a slice, the crust was too chewy- like it was too thick and hadn't been cooked completely. In my opinion, Gioia's is still a lot better.

Overall, this was a pleasant restaurant, but it really didn't serve anything super extraordinary or exciting. And the prices were on the higher end of things. Maybe if we have a craving for French food we would return, but I have a feeling that'll be happening any time soon.

No comments: