Wednesday, January 30, 2008

THE WYNN BUFFET

Going to Vegas with my parents is often fun, cause they sometime know employees of the hotel (they're often called hosts) who can get you show tickets, or let you check in in the VIP room. The fun thing about getting to use the VIP room is the free stuff you get from coffee, teas and sodas to alcohol and even a Continental breakfast. We were only spend one night in Vegas, so we planned on having our big buffet meal for lunch, and decided to make a light breakfast out of the offerings of fruit, pastries and coffee in the VIP room.

It was pretty good. Afterwards, Tom and I took some time walking down the Strip. We played video games at NY NY, did some window shopping at Caesars and the Venetian and I also did some chocolate shopping at the Bellagio. Afterwards, we played some slots, which I must admit, are kinda fun. It's like playing video games except when you win, you get to win actual money. After playing around for a while, we went looking for my parents, and pretty soon, it was lunch time.

Now, I'd heard that the Wynn has a pretty decent buffet, with lots of different stations and diverse foods. (I'd also heard there'd be snow crab legs, but apparently, that's just for dinner. sigh). And in fact, there really was a ton of stuff to eat. Disappointed that there wouldn't be crab legs, I told Tom that I was gonna eat shrimp cocktail until I turned orange (but actually, I got sick of them after a while). So here's my first plate of food
You can see the shrimp of the left, but there was actually a ceviche section, and a section that offered fried chicken (it was ok).

I also took a pic of my mom's plate to show you the diversity of foods offered. Vegas is a big gambling destination for newly rich Asians. And we were there a week before Chinese New Year (and all the hotels were decked out for the celebration), so there were lots of foods that appealed to an Asian palate like sushi, and noodle soups.
Here's a pic of Tom's plate, where you can really see the diversity of food offerings since there's a slice of pizza sitting atop sushi. And here's a look at what one of the hot stations looked like:
Overall, I'd say that the food wasn't bad, though it certainly wasn't the most spectacular buffet I'd ever visited. For all my dad's griping about the buffet not being great prior to us getting there, I gotta admit, he was right (See, this is where my eating pickiness really started, from my parents).

But my favorite station overall was the dessert station, where I could have all the ice cream I wanted, pick my tops AND, the ice cream was actually quite excellent. Certainly better than many of the ice creams I buy from stores. To finish off, take a look at Tom's trip to the dessert bar. Yes, he picked up all these desserts for himself.
Luckily, though, he didn't actually finish eating all of them. See that's the great thing about going to a buffet- you can sample a little bit of everything.

No comments: