Sunday, December 21, 2008

BREAKFAST AT A TOURIST TRAP

It's not often that Tom and I will head into the touristy parts of the city. However, Steve and Barry's was having a liquidation sale, and the closest location is located at The Cannery near Fisherman's Wharf, so early on a Sunday morning, we headed into the city for some breakfast and shopping.

The times we've been down at Fisherman's Wharf we've often walked by Boudin, a place famous for its soudough bread and always packed with tourists. We decided to have breakfast at their cafe since I figured it'd be less busy with far less tourists.

When you enter the place, it's clear that it's a show place designed to handle masses of tourists.

Though there were plenty of people there, it wasn't packed, so Tom and I were able to order at the counter. It was funny because as we drove to the city, we discussed uses for the breadbowl (not just for soups). I had commented that it'd be possible to serve eggs in a breadbowl and sure enough when we got there, it was one of the options on the menu.

Though I really would've been happy with a clam chowder bread bowl, it wasn't listed on the breakfast menu and I figured they didn't serve it this early in the morning (I later saw someone else with it). And Tom greatly encourage me to order the egg breadbowl, so I did. Here it is below:
And yeah, it was kinda as appalling as it looks. It was basically a veggie scramble with cheese in a sourdough bread bowl. The eggs were waaaaayyyyy overcooked, but to their credit, that sourdough bread bowl was really quite tasty. (Though Tom didn't think it was sour enough). I think I would've been happy with just some toasted sourghdough and butter.

Meanwhile, Tom ordered the breakfast pizza:
He describes it as "passable" and "it wasn't great". They had cooked the eggs prior to putting it on the pizza rather than cooking the eggs on the pizza, so the eggs ended up quite dry.

My advice in the future - stick to the sourdough and maybe the clam chowder. Avoid everything else.

No comments: