Sunday, December 21, 2008

THE DRIVE HOME

Well, we had gotten the mini van from my parents and it was time to drive home to the Bay Area. Unfortunately the weather spoiled our plans. We had planned on driving up the 5 back up, but snow closed down parts of the highway, and so we took the 101 North all the way back to the Bay Area. Though it was a much longer route, it was also far more scenic.

I haven't driven up the 101 North in years, so when we started approaching San Luis Obispo, I started noticing things that we had visited on a family trip years before. The thing that caught my eye was a giant billboard for Apple Farm. I remember visiting the place with my family years before, and since it was near lunch time, I made Tom get off the highway so we could find out. Unfortunately when we followed the directions that the billboard had given us, we found a satellite location for the Apple Farm which had closed. A little sad, we headed back to the 101, but at then I spied the original Apple Farm and we stopped for lunch.

You know, memories are a powerful thing. I don't actually remember eating at Apple Farm with my family, I just distinctly remember going there. But given that we had to wait 20 minutes for a table, I thought it'd probably be a decent place to eat. As we walked to the seats, I noticed that the clientele there is filled with locals, elderly people and tourists, probably not the best crowd to be dining with. And when we were given the menus, I noticed that the prices were actually kinda on the high side of standard American fare.

So we wanted to get back on the road, we ordered quickly. I got a turkey pot pie.
The crust that you see on top was actually the best part of the whole thing. I was very buttery and crusty. What was underneath wasn't as tasty, but it was fine. Meanwhile, Tom ordered a burger...
which came out pretty overcooked and anemic looking. At least the fries were ok.

Overally, it really wasn't worth stopping here for a bite. It did delay us an additional hour, and I have a feeling we would've been happier at In N Out, but it was good to experience this place again and learn that memories of food don't always translate to the present.

No comments: