Thursday, January 08, 2009

THE CHALLENGE

A few weeks ago I read in one of the major newspapers a story about a family that had decided that they wouldn't spend any money (other than to pay bills) over a 2 week period. (you know current state of economy an all). At that point, I kinda dismissed the whole thing as pretty hippy, but after a month of free spending, I've decided that maybe it's not such a bad idea after all.

So here's the challenge. Starting next Tuesday, and for one week (cause let's be serious, I'm not going to last 2 weeks), Tom and I are gonna to attempt to not spend money for 7 days (other than to pay bills). I don't think it'll be too difficult, since we spend most of our money on eating out and buying food. Plus, since I pay for my CSA on a quarterly basis, we'll have a supply of veggies. I'm starting it on a Tuesday, since it's a lot easier for me to do this when I've got a regular schedule, especially since I bring my lunch to work anyway. So mainly, that means I'll have to cook dinner. I'm also hoping this will really motivate us (meaning me) to clean out our pantry and freezer.

I'll document how things go here. And maybe if it's successful, we'll try it again - like once a month. We'll see.

2 comments:

cathy said...

isnt eating out included in 'spending money'? thats like your crack....

Inspector Clouseau said...

Nice work, especially the dolphin shots. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the Next Blog button on the blue Nav Bar located at the top of my blogger.com site. I frequently just travel around looking for other blogs which exist on the Internet, and the various, creative ways in which people express themselves. Thanks for sharing.