Saturday, October 29, 2005

Chicken legs with chicken pox?

Ok, so I'm Taiwanese. And I think it's ingrained within my culture to get a good deal. I'm not as bad as my mom. She's like the ultimate bargainer. She has no shame. And I can't bargain at all. But if I see a good deal at the grocery store, I'm gonna stock up. Which is what i did this past week. I bought a bunch of chicken legs, even though my freezer is completely full, cause they were selling at $1/pound. And because my freezer is so full, I had to start cooking these guys, so i went to the trusty Cook's Illustrated and chose the recipe below.

Roast Chicken with Dijon mustard-thyme sauce.
Here's what you need:
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves , stems removed
4 chicken breast halves or 4 whole chicken legs
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup heavy cream


So you pour the mustard over the chicken legs, sprinkle on the thyme leaves, and let it marinate overnight. I also sprinkled on some red pepper flakes, cause i thought it'd add a little heat. It also made the legs look like they had a case of the chicken pox. Here it is below.
When you're ready to use the chicken legs, you take them out of the fridge and bring them to room temp. Meanwhile, preheat your over to 350F.

Take the butter and melt it in a skilled and then add your chicken. You wanna brown both sides of the chicken leg. When that's done, place the chicken legs on a sheet pan and stick them in the oven until they're cooked through (about 20 minutes).

Next, you wanna make the sauce for your chicken legs. Using the same skillet that you used to brown the chicken legs, add the chicken stock and incorporate the pan drippings. Cook until it reduces to half the amount. And add your cream. Ok, and this is the part where i ran into some trouble. you're supposed to use an immulstion blender (ie. a handblender) to blend up the sauce with the little brown bits the come off the pan. My first problem was that I put the sauce in a container that was too small, so when i turned on the handblender, sauce went flying. mainly onto me and my floor. After I'd cleaned that up, I resorted to using a large container, but as much as i blended, those little bits just got smaller and never incorporate into the sauce. I finally ended up straining out the big pieces.

ok, so here's the finished dish. It was mighty tasty, especially with the extra sauce and the red pepper flakes. And I liked it cause the mustard wasn't too pungent. Plus i love thyme. I also liked it cause prep was super easy and had i not sprayed myself with sauce, the cooking was pretty simple too. so at least now i have a reliable recipe to use on the rest of my chicken legs. or perhaps i'll just have to keep experimenting with new ones. perhaps chicken teriyaki...

No comments: