Monday, October 03, 2005

A GREAT SLICE AT THE UPPER CRUST



My goodess. It's been so long since I last posted that I didn't even read Leah's entry until today. It's because my meals during the last week have been quite uneventful. I've been suffering from a bit of a cold and a bit of exhaustion these last few days, so I've mainly been nuking stuff that I happen to find in my fridge. Basically nothing worth blogging about, but luckily, yesterday I had dinner with my friend Katie at the Upper Crust in Coolidge Corner.

Now, as most of you now, I'm from California. So I've often found it strange how you eastcoasters (fine, i'm an eastcoaster too, but for a few seconds pretend that i'm not) like to debate so much about who has the best pizza. Is it NY? Chicago? Boston? and then which resturants serve the best. In Boston, that'd be Regina's? Bertucci's? Uno's? and whatever else you can possibly come up with. Well, I've tried many in Boston, but my favorite pizza place is the Upper Crust. If we were in LA, my favorite pizza place would be CPK, but for some reason, I find the CPK's out here kinda crappy. It just doesn't taste as good as the ones back home. I think it has to do with the fresher ingredients we have out west.

Back to the Upper Crust. So when I lived on Beacon Hill, I'd often go down to the orignial Crust to grab a slice before heading home after work. The Crust on the hill is a great place to grab a quick bite, but if actually want to sit, the Crust in Coolidge Corner is a much better spot. It's got more seating and is bigger. Plus it has a liquor license and they can serve wine and beer. It's also closer to me now that I live in Brookline and my friend Katie lives just a few blocks from there, so we sometimes go there to grab a slice of pizza.

So at the Crust, you can either get a slice or order a whole pizza. The cool thing is that everyday, the upper crust has a "slice of the day" option, which is what i normally get. it can be basically anything, and last night, it was a portabello mushrooms and roasted red peppers. yum. otherwise, you gotta pick just cheese or pepperoni for your slice. See, the thing i like about pizza at the crust is that they specialize in thin crust pizza. So if you're a fan of the deep dish thing, you may not like this place. But i like how it gets crunchy towards the crust. Also, i really like their sauce cause it's got actual chunks of tomato in it.

the other cool thing about the crust is that it's a cheap meal. the slice of the day is $2.75 and the regular slices are $2.50. and the slice are pretty generous. so i can be full on just one. sometimes i feel bad and feel like i need veggies, so it's nice that the crust now offers a combo deal where you can get a slice and a side salad for $5. still a pretty great deal.

here's one warning though. sometimes, restaurants just need to stick with what they're good at. and this is the case with the uppercrust. some time ago, the brookline location started serving pasta dishes. so one night, i figured i'd give it a shot and ordered the lasgna. bad idea. it was pretty crappy, basically a pile of noodles with some cheese, and when they went to nuke it to reheat it, it wasn't warm in the middle. and for $7.50 (or somewhere around there) I could've happily gotten 3 slices of pizza. the second warning is, the coolidge corner location is often crowded. with lots of ppl waiting for their pizzas. so be vigilant in grabbing a table. it can be sort of an art. just look at when ppl are starting to dispose of their plates and sneak in before anyone else does. sometimes you gotta be ruthless, but it's worth it, to sit down and enjoy your slice of great pizza.

No comments: