Friday, October 21, 2005

A Taste of Home, Dinner at Wisteria House

On Wednesday night, a bunch of ladies and I attended a party at the Armani Cafe thrown by my pubicist. Afterwards, my friend Sue Min and I decided to grab a quick and casual dinner at the Wisteria House since we were already on Newbury Street.

Wisteria House is one of those restaurants that has a basement level entrance. It's actually located right next door to Tapeo, a very popular restaurant on Newbury, but you might never have noticed it. At any rate, it's a small, cute restaurant with wooden benches and tables and best of all, it serves some traditional taiwanese food, that's also super cheap. When we went in, only a couple of tables were occupied, but that was fine with us. I do wonder how this place has managed to stay open with the prices they've got (where else on Newbury can you get a dinner for less than $10 and don't say Pho Pasteur, cause they've already closed), but i'm not gonna question it. I'll just enjoy it while it's still around.

So Sue Min and I both ordered very traditional noodle soups. i got the fried chicken noodle soup and Sue Min got a noodle soup with stir fried pork and pickled veggies.

Here's Sue Min's dinner:

And here's mine.accompanied by fried chicken legs:

As you can see, they're too big bowls of soup with noodles and my chicken legs came on the side. The portions are super generous. Unfortunately, that is pork you see in the middle of my soup, but i just picked it out. The chicken legs were huge, crispy and when you bit into them, you got the immediate flavor of MSG. yum. It kinda reminds me of when I was growing up. My mom would make the same dish with fried pork chops (back when i ate pork) and also serve it on top of a big bowl of noodles. Sue Min actually finished her bowl of soup and said she like it a lot. I didn't finish all my stuff and so, took half of it home.

I overheard a conversation that one customer was having with a server and she mentioned that Wisteria House has also started serving traditional Taiwanese breakfast on the weekends. I haven't been there yet. I normally hit up the place in watertown that's well known as the Taiwanese dim sum place and I'm venturing out to the place in Belmont this weekend, but one day, I think i'll drop by Wisteria House to try it out. In the meantime, if you happen to be on Newbury Street and it's a cold fall evening, drop on into Wisteria House for a nice bowl of hot noodle soup. It'll make you all warm and happy, and you won't break the bank for dinner on Newbury Street.

No comments: