Thursday, July 06, 2006

DAY 4: PRAGUE

I'd pretty much given up on having exceptional dining experiences for this portion of the trip. And that was fine, because we were in Europe to watch the world cup, not eat my way through Europe. So the lack on exceptional food continued during our second day in Prague. Now, I do take some of the blame for not finding great food. The problem was that we stuck to the touristy areas. Since we were only in Prague for 2 full days, it didn't leave much time for exploration. But after speaking to Jayna, who spent 5 days in Prague, she also concluded that it wasn't a city for great cuisine, but they had excellent desserts. (I am sorry I missed out on those).

However, for our breakfast that morning, I took a tip from Jayna and we went to the Ebel Coffeehouse, which is a chain of coffeehouses in Prague. They're actually really cute and homey. Not at all like a Starbucks type chain. So we all sat outdoors and ordered a simple breakfast. Here are Nick and Rudy check out their menus.I ordered a cappuccino. Which was way too foamy and pretty bitter. But I don't think Prague is known for its excellent coffee.And I got this croissant, which was delicious. Buttery and flaky, I wish I'd had 2.Meanwhile, here's Sam with their drinks. I was fascinated with the whipped cream that topped them. It was more yellow than the cream here, and definitely denser. I attributed this to the higher fat percentage of the cream. (oh, and that was Roy having a beer for breakfast)After breakfast, we set out to see some touristy sites, the Charles bridge and the Prague castle. After spending several hours, we had an unremarkable snack at a little cafe, that I deemed unworthy of pictures. I ordered tuna fish with butter on toast and it was literally canned tuna, a slice of white bread with a pat of butter on top.

I was much happier with the ice cream from this little shop. Here's the case:And my order of strawberry and chocolate ice creams (sorry for the bluriness)We spent the rest of the afternoon taking naps and wandering the city. And of course, we had to watch a soccer match that evening. We decided to be super casual and get Donner Kabobs while sitting outdoors watching the game on screens that'd be set up outside. A donner kabob is the German name, but it's often referred to by different names, shwarma, gyros, whatever. This was my first donner kabob in Europe, (a chicken one of course). And it was pretty good. Though the guy piled on the meat on top, so when i went to take my first bite, most of it fell off. (and onto the floor). Yeah, I know that's not a pretty shot, but I got it from a steetside stall and i was taking the pic with one hand.Here's a better pic of the boys watching the game.
Unfortunately it started to rain. So we ran for cover and ended up at an English Pub we'd seen earlier in the day. (And it was the perfect place to watch England win a match, I don't even remember who they were playing). An ideal way to finish off a long day.

No comments: