Tuesday, July 18, 2006

MY SUMMER HERB GARDEN

I've always wanted to have fresh herbs at my finger tips, so if I ever needed basil or rosemary or thyme, I could just step outside and pick some fresh. And this year, I was finally able to start my summer herb garden. It didn't start off too well, though. Tom, knowing that I wanted to start my mini garden was thoughtful enough to buy me some thyme and rosemary at the Brookline farmer's market right before I left for Europe. Unfortunately, Boston had some crazy hot and then cold weather while I was gone. And during those hot days (like right now) you gotta water the plants every day. Suffice it to say, the plants didn't survive.

So when I returned, it was time to start over. I picked up a very nice basil plant at Russo's market in Watertown. And I bought a lemon basil plant and a thai basil plant at the Central Square Farmer;s market. Then we made a little trip out to Concord in search of this farm store. Actually, I don't remember what it's called right now. But i would always drive by it on my way to visit George Howell at Terroir Coffee. This time we were on our way there to enhance my herb garden.

It's actually a lovely place. With a ton of garden plants and a little pond with 2 ducks on it. And a turtle.
I was able to buy a thyme plant, a rosemary plant and a purple basil plant. Tom bought a not great apple pie. They're just better when you can make them yourself. So here's my lovely little garden below. They've been surviving quite well and have grown and flowered. I've already used some basil and thyme. I'm quite proud of it, so stop on by sometime and I'll show it all off to you (in case I haven't already).

No comments: