Thursday, July 20, 2006

DUK BUA, COOLIDGE CORNER

I'll spare you all my feeble attempts at coming up with a title for this post. A few weeks ago I finally decided to check out Duk Bua, which is located just north of Coolidge Corner. (and right next door to Shabu Village, which I blogged about previously). Looking at the pics on their website right now is making me really hungry. I should eat my lunch. Anyway, Leah had recommended Duk Bua as a great place to grab cheap Thai food. Apparently it used to be a Thai grocery store that happened to have a small food counter, but it later expanded into a full blown restaurant. (There is an area where you can still purchase a small number of Thai groceries).

The setting is super casual and they serve drinks in little mason jars that have handles. And you could tell that the entire place was filled with locals. We were seated very quickly and given 2 massive menus. (oh and they were so helpful by giving us the picture menu. I just love the picture menus cause i find them hilarious. They're ostensibly for those non-natives who just have no idea what to order).

Tom was super hungry that day. So he ordered a bunch of food. (And let me start off by apologizing for the crappiness of these pics now that I'm looking at them). He started with the chicken satayWhich was a very generous portion. And I do love the peanut sauce. I just found the meat a little dry (but they did use all white meat after all)

He also ordered these fish cakes.
I think the fish cakes at Khao Sarn are much better. These were again, a bit dry, and a little bland. But still pretty good.

And lastly, he got a noodle dish. Which looked great. Actually, I kinda wish I had ordered it.Meawhile, I got a Masaman curry with duck. I was in a duck kind of mood. And I always get this curry from Brown Sugar.It was actually pretty good. Filled with veggies. Though I must say, I think I like the stuff at Brown Sugar more. And a large portion too. (I ended up taking most of it home) The prices here were all pretty reasonable. Less than Brown Sugar, but more than Roh Dee. And the experience there pretty much falls in the middle too. Not as super casual as Roh Dee, but the service isn't as nice as it is at Brown Sugar either. Perfect for a casual meal out, especially if you want to sit down and have a pleasant meal. However, for my money, I think I'll continue visiting Roh Dee for my Thai food cravings. If only either location had parking...

No comments: