Friday, July 14, 2006

DAY 8 BARCELONA
We spent most of Day 8 driving from Belin back to Munich and I waited around in the Munich airport for my flight to Barcelona. So not much eating was happening. Except that i did get a really cool pic of this six pack at a convenience store in Germany.It's pabstbier. Get it? Cause the new pope is German...Ok, nevermind.

I was off to Barcelona for the "work" part of my vacation. No really, I did work. And I had wanted to go to Barcelona for so long because their chocolate industry really is on the cutting edge right now. I just wish more people were looking at them and brining stuff into the U.S. This was a great opportunity to visit Barcelona, too, since I was already in Europe and two of my friends, Shirly (Shirls) and Jayna, were already there.

So after flying in and meeting up with Jayna, I got a little time to crash and then it was time for dinner. Unfortunately, I had arrived on a Saturday and on a holiday weekend, too. The festival San Juan was just winding down. So many restaurants were closed. We tried to visit a place that I'd found in my guidebook, but it wasn't open when we arrived. Luckily, there was a little neighborhood joint on the corner that was open and there were a good number of people inside, so in we went.

The menu was really simple and the decor was awesome. Bright colors, strange art. Very Spanish. They were just so casual, it was like having dinner in someone's apartment who's totally into funky art. There weren't any tables available, among the handful that they had, so we got seated in our own backroom that had a couch, a coffee table, some bean bags chairs and art on the walls. Here are Jayna and Greg on the couch. (aww, aren't they cute?)And here's a pic of the funky painting on the wall
So the menu at this restaurant was pretty small. It seemed that they specialized in crepes. We picked out everything we wanted to order, but when the waiter showed it, he announced that something was wrong with the kitchen and they couldn't serve any hot food. (ok, that was pretty disappointing cause we were all starving by this point) So we had to pick from foods that were cold, or were already prepared, and that didn't leave a whole lot. Going along with it though, I ordered a slice of quiche with chickenAnd had some of Jayna's smoked salmon salad.
The dishes were really simple, but the ingredients were fresh and it was an excellent light meal, especially considering how warm it was outside. And of course, being in Spain, the service was laid back, bordering on nearly too casual. (it took forever for us to pay and get out of there). So I leave you with one more pic of paper mache art hanging from the walls at this cute, funky cafe.

No comments: