Wednesday, January 24, 2007

EASTERN STANDARD REVISITED

If you've read my blog for a while, you know that I've never reviewed Eastern Standard, even though I've been there many times. And I'm not really going to review it right now, but just throw in some commentary. After all, I think I'd give a pretty biased review, since I like the owner, upper management, bartenders and I get a huge discount whenever I go. Anyway, last night Tom and I went for dinner. I really needed a meal out, since I've been cooking at home so much lately and I just wanted someone to cook for me and wait on me. Plus as we all know, dining in restaurants is entertaining. Initially, we were going to visit the Beacon Street Tavern, but the menu just doesn't really excite me at all, so we settled on ES since Tom had never been and I wanted to try a dish there.

I haven't actually sat and had a dinner at Eastern Standard in nearly a year and a half. I normally just visit the bar and order drinks, or get a few appetizers. (I'm a really big fan of their fries). I'm happy to say that service has improved since my initial visits, though it still isn't top notch, but I was very happy with my appetizer of onion rings and chicken livers. Everything at Eastern Standard is heavy; they really don't skimp on the butter, fat, cream or salt, and this dish was no exception. The livers had been breaded and deep fried, but were still a little rare, so they were moist and delicious. And those onion rings...I haven't had onion rings that good in a long time. Maybe it was the thick layer of batter or how deeply fried they were, but it was so tasty. Unfortunately, they won't allow you to order just the onion rings (I've asked), but if you're into chicken livers, then I would definitely give it a try. At this point, I'd had so much fried stuff that I couldn't even eat one of Tom's fries that came with his mussels frites, which turned out not to be a problem since he finished it all off by himself. (He also liked the fries a lot).

I also tried one of the desserts, since they have a new pastry chef. It was a cherry cake topped with almond streussel. I'm sad to say that I was not a big fan. Leah was right, the desserts have improved, but they're still not great. Honestly, I could make a better cake with my equipment at home and my Martha Stewart baking book. Tom always gets annoyed at me when I say things like that, but then, he shouldn't ask me my opinion. I'm not very good at lying or glossing things over when it comes to food.

Speaking of which, do you guys think I'm a Food Bully? The Amateur Gourmet wrote an article for Serious Eats in which he talks about his friends comparing him to some type of food dictator. In fact, for what he writes, I'd be annoyed at him. I won't deny the fact that I'm honest with my food opinions, and my older sister has called me a food snob. But I'm not trying to be condescending and if I'm gonna consume the calories, then I want it to be worth it. And that has benefited you guys. Whenever I get a call from Boston, LA, Philadelphia or NY, I almost always give you good restaurant recs. Anyway, I understand that people can't cook everyday. I mean, I hate cooking for just me, and if Tom weren't around, I'd end up microwaving Trader Joe's Chicken Burritos for the majority of my dinners. But if you find me being annoying, just let me know, and I'll back off. In the meantime, go to ES and eat chicken livers!

No comments: