Thursday, January 25, 2007

MORE TIDBITS

Here's another edition of my random thoughts on what's going on....

1. I was walking home yesterday and what did I spy out of the corner of my eye, but.....


That's right. Popeye's Chicken is coming to Kenmore Square, just next door to Uno's on Brookline Ave. Now I know that many of you will be thrilled with the arrival of Popeye's. Prior to this, the closest one (actually the only one) in MA was in Brockton. The next closest were in Rhode Island. Personally, I've never had Popeye's. My family always had KFC, so I'm a little interested in what it's like. But what interests/concerns me more is what the hell is going on the Kenmore Square? They make this big push to make it a destination area, extending the Comm Ave. mall (ok, that hasn't happened yet, but it's in the works), building a new T stop and opening up a big luxury hotel. And what opens up next door? A Popeye's. That doesn't exactly spell luxury to me.

2. Congratulation to the Globe for figuring out 5 years too late that Food Blogs are a big thing now. Apparently the writers at the Globe read only their newspapers and none others. I guess this does make sense since we do seem to be constantly behind the times here in Boston. And especially with the Globe. While other news outlets (NY Times, Washington Post, Time Magazine, LA Times....) have their bloggers well established, you'd be hard pressed to find any on the Globe homepage. So hooray to the Globe for explaining to all of us here in Boston that "Blogging is the latest trend in food writing. Just about anyone who likes to cook and has an Internet connection can use free online software to create a weblog, or blog, that allows them to publish stories, recipes, photographs, and videos."

3. Thanks to Jayna for cooking us a delicious dinner last night. We hope to make many more trips to your home in the future.

4. I've decided to host a Superbowl party. But I'm not too sure what to make. Leah and Tom were in agreement that it'd involve frozen pizzas, chicken wings, jello and Coolwhip. But I don't know if I can really execute that. And they ruled out baked desserts cause apparently it's not appropriate. I even offered to make a pie, but was voted down but the two people who love pie the most, because you're not supposed to eat pie on Superbowl Sunday. Cookies shaped liked footballs? No to that, too. So far, I've decided to make guacamole and quesadillas, but I'm willing to take suggestions.

5. Thank goodness we ate at Per Se last year. Apparently it now costs $250/person (we paid $21o), but hey, you now get free bottled water, coffee and tea. As if that made up for the additional $40. With tax, that means that a dinner at Per Se will now cost closer to $300. But do I still want to go to the French Laundry? You betcha.

2 comments:

cathy said...

i know you hate rachel ray, but these hot dog nachos are good..i made them a few years ago

Chili Dog Nachos Recipe

1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan
1 pound ground sirloin
Salt and pepper
2 hog dogs, sliced into 1/2- inch pieces
1 small onion, chopped
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 sack yellow corn tortilla chips
1 sack, 10 ounces, shredded yellow Cheddar
Sour cream, garnish
Salsa, garnish
2 scallions, chopped

Heat a medium skillet over high heat. Add oil then beef, and begin to brown and crumble with a wooden spoon, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then add chopped hot dogs and continue browning, another 3 minutes. Add onions and seasonings, Worcestershire, chili powder, and cumin. Cook another 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and simmer 5 minutes more.
Preheat broiler.

Arrange corn chips on a platter or in a casserole dish. Top the chips with the cooked chili dog topping. Cover the chili dog sauce with cheese. Melt cheese under hot broiler, 2 minutes, until melted and bubbly. Garnish with sour cream, salsa and chopped scallions.

That Girl! said...

Any sort of bar cookie is good. Brownies, blondies.

I might make some pigs in a blanket instead of the chicken wings. Don't worry I'll bring some chicken dogs in a blanket for you :)

But I'm def bringing some french bread pizza!