Thursday, January 04, 2007

FILLING IN THE BLANKS FROM DAY 1:

Ok, I forgot to mention a couple of the spots we visited on our first full day in LA. After my dentist appointment (and while my mouth was still kinda numb) I took Tom to the beach to visit the often photographed and filmed Santa Monica Pier. Unfortunately, it wasn't a very sunny day, as you can tell from the pics below. The good thing about the pier is that it is 100 feet from the original location of Hot Dog on a Stick, which really is the ultimate beach food. Now I do love corn dogs, just like everyone else, but I can only have them at Hot Dog on a Stick, where they use turkey dogs. So off we went to get a quick pre-lunch snack. Tom and I each ordered a hot dog, and we shared a fresh squeezed lemonade. The only other things that Hot Dog on a stick offers in a cheese on a stick or french fries, and I remember then days when it was only hot dogs or lemonade.Here I am walking up to the place. You can tell it's pretty small. All the other locations that I've seen have been in malls. And here's Tom's hot dog with our giant cup of lemonade. He only put mustard on his, but mine was messier with mustard and ketchup. It was yummy and crunchy and warm and a great treat. Good thing I only have it like once a year. Our next stop was lunch with Katie and Dustin. Katie wanted to go to a restaurant called Harvest, located near the Brentwood Country Mart, but it was closed. It appeared that it was only open for dinner. So we went to what looked like an Italian place next door. (I don't remember what it was called). It was pretty full when we arrived, and was a total casual neighborhood spot. So we snagged a table for four and opened up our menus.

Upon inspection, we realized that this place wasn't Italian, but more "global cuisine" at least that's what they called it. There were pasta, risottos, burgers and all different kinds of stuff. This was also a very "LA" restaurant in that it was geared towards healthy stuff. Whole wheat, tempeh, tofu, you get the idea. I ended up ordering a turkey bolognese with lentils. Here it is below.

It actually wasn't a terrible dish. But I found the lentils totally unnecessary (I think they were used to reduce the amount of meat in the dish) and the pasta was way over cooked. But it was still pretty tasty.Here's Tom's turkey burger on a wholewheat bun. I think it was pretty good.
Dustin declared that he would've preferred to go somewhere with real meat on the menu, but it wasn't too bad. And at least it was a healthier option.

No comments: