Tuesday, April 08, 2008

AND FINALLY, SOME DECENT JAPANESE FOOD

Ok, so you've probably already read my post about not having great Japanese food around us. The one exception is the visit we had to Japantown in SF. We were taking my cousin to her doctor's appointment in the city and the hospital is just 5 blocks away from Japantown. So Tom and I decided to go explore a new part of the city while we waited for my cousin to see the doctor.

We walked over to Japantown, which is surrounded by not necessarily the greatest neighborhood in SF, but once we got to it, it was kinda nice. Now Japantown is really made up of a big shopping mall that divided into three segments- 2 of the segments contain shopping and the third contains food. After walking around a bit, we went straight for food, but couldn't decide on which place to try. It was kinda mid afternoon, so it was too late to have a full lunch in a restaurant. Luckily, I had spotted a sign of Nijiya, a Japanese grocery store that I like to visit in LA, so we headed over there to get some yummy prepacked food.

Now Tom had never been to Nijiya before, so it took us a little while to decided what we wanted from their large selection of prepacked food. We finally settled on some selections, picked up drinks and headed outside to sit in the sun and eat our food.

Here's the famous square where the little pagoda sits (pagoda not pictured) where we ended up sitting and having our little picnic.
Tom got a bunch of stuff, but I didn't photograph most of it. One of his favorites was the takoyaki- octopus balls, served with a side of mayo. (he didn't use the mayo, the Japanese people love mayo). He'd also got some sushi, some chicken karage and something else that I'm now forgetting. Basically, he went all out on the Japanese food.
Meanwhile, I was a little more tame and got a prepacked bento box with two rice balls, and my favorite, a side of chicken karage (the Japanese version of fried chicken). Yeah, it might've been room temperature, but I still found it all pretty yummy, especially the fried chicken. I don't know why we can't have a Nijiya on this side of the bay, and the other day, I actually considered driving into SF just to pick up some Japanese food.
You know the funny thing is is that it'd take me just as long to drive from my house in LA to our local Nijiya as it would for me to drive from our house in El Cerrito to the Nijiya in SF, but there's a bit of a mental barrier for crossing a big span of water and paying a $4 toll to do it that just dampens my whole desire.

We continued to walk around Japantown for a while. Tom bought me yet another wind up toy to add to my collection. This one is an awesome Domo that walks really slowly. There did seem to also be some good food options in Japantown (perhaps excluding the sketchy looking 24 hour Denny's that serves Hawaiian food), so I hope we'll be back in the future to try more places.


No comments: