Tuesday, April 08, 2008

A NIGHT AT THE MOVIES (WITH DINNER)

It'd been a while since Tom and I had gone to the movies. Or really gone out at all. As most of you know, we don't share the same days off (which is a problem I'm working to solve. Just as soon as I stop working 6 days a week, and next week better be the last one, so we'll actually have Sundays off together). But one evening we decided that it was time for a "Date Night" and decided to see a movie, the first movie we'd seen together since last summer. Luckily, we've got a really awesome independent movie theatre just 3 blocks from our house called the El Cerrito Speakeasy. It's one of those movie theatres that serve food, too, and though they don't play brand new movies, they do play those smaller indy films, like Juno, which I was looking foward to seeing.

Since we had never gone before, we didn't know how popular this place would be. We did arrive a bit early to get tickets, food and seats, but after we'd entered, the ticket taker suggested that one person get in line for food while the other went and saved seats. So I got the food, and Tom saved the seats. The menu is a combo of typical movie food- nachos, pizzas, popcorn, and some more CA style food- salads, sandwiches and lots of vegan/vegetarian friendly options. Tom ordered pizza while I got a sandwich- Lavash bread rolled with grilled chicken, hummus, roasted red peppers, feta cheese and spinach. They didn't give you the food right away, but gave you a stand with a big number on it. Our food would be brought to us later (and could take up to 45 minutes after ordering). In the meantime, I ordered us a big bowl of popcorn to snack on.

Here's a photo of my popcorn (I seasoned it with salt, pepper and parm to make it extra yummy)

And here's a photo of the actual theatre. The screen's smaller than a regular movie theatre, and rather than normal seating (though there is some of that in back) there are couches with tables in front and Tom picked out a more normal table and chairs for us to sit in in the middle.

By the time the movie started, this place was packed. I think it was the combination of a popular movie and a neighborhood crowd. The servers brought in the food as it was ready, so the movie had already been playing for like 20 minutes before we got our dinner (so no pic, it was already dark inside). My sandwich was ok- kinda dry and I could've used much more hummus. Tom thought his pizza was pretty good (considering we were having it at a movie theatre). As for the movie, I was a big fan of Juno, definitely funny and worth seeing. And we really did have a good time at the El Cerrito Speakeasy. Since it was just $7/person for the movie, it's cheaper than the usual theatres and it's great to support a local business. I think Tom and I will be back soon, maybe to see the Bank Job.

No comments: