Tuesday, April 08, 2008

OSTERIA MOZZA

Ok, I know this post is a little out of order, but I had already uploaded all my photos and now it's too late to go back and change it. Oh, and no pics for this post, it was a bit darker inside and I didn't want to disturb the other diners. So I actually ate at Osteria Mozza when I went back to LA for my dad's 60th bday. I was really looking foward to this meal. You may remember last year during a trip back to LA, my struggle of obtaining a reservation at Pizzeria Mozza and how I had enjoyed my dinner there. (though I still really don't consider it pizza, it really is a totally different entity). This time, it wasn't as hard to get a reservation. Osteria Mozza is still one of the most popular restaurants in LA right now, and it's still hard to get a table, but I made my reservation exactly 3o days in advance, and their reservation system has improved dramatically- I wasn't on hold for 8 hours before I got through.

I'm a big fan of Batali restaurants, but I was also looking foward to this meal because I was actually having a dinner with my friends. I've been back to LA like 4 times since moving back to the West Coast, but each time I go back, it's just for a few days, and that doesn't leave much time for friends. I normally just grab a quick coffee or have a short visit with Katie and the kitties. For this dinner, I had invited my friends, Katie, Dustin, Raj and Naina. Katie had already been before and had raved about her meal there, so I had high expectations.

When we arrived at Osteria Mozza, we found a much bigger restaurant than I had expected (the pizzeria right next door is about half the size of Osteria Mozza). Our friends Raj and Naina were running a bit late, so Katie and Dustin grabbed a drink at the rear bar while we waited for them to arrive. The restaurant has a very sleek design- all black, grey and lots of white tile. There's also a bar in the middle of the restaurant- the mozzarella bar, where you can also sit and enjoy a meal. When our friends arrived, we were seated at our table and to start off, we were each served a piece of toast with fresh goat cheese, basil and olive. Now I'm not normally a fan of goat cheese. I don't enjoy the tanginess. But Katie had already told me about the amazingness of the cheese here, and she was right. That goat cheese was delicious, so creamy and smooth, with out a hint of tanginess. I really enjoyed it.

Now, almost everyone at our dinner was a vegetarian, so no one was really eating meat. While I was looking at the menu, I had a tough internal debate. I didn't know if I wanted to order a secondi-a meat course, or if I wanted pasta. Now, I already know that I love pasta at Batali restaurants, so after debating a bit more, I finally settle on ordering a pasta. I wouldn't regret my decision. (there was pasta tasting menu, but it was 6 courses, so I decided I'd wait until Tom was with me).

Meanwhile, the two couples at the table decided that they were starting with a course from the mozzarella bar. I've forgotten to mention that the mozzarella bar is what Osteria Mozza is famous for- the fabulous homemade cheese. I stuck with a salad Oro blanco Grapefruit, Avocado, Noci with watercress. It was side, well made and delicious. Everyone else enjoyed their cheese course, and Dustin kept exclaiming in surprise that he's never had anything like it before.

Next up, we had all ordered pasta courses. I got something pretty simple-
Butternut Squash Mezzalune with amaretti, and it was DELICIOUS. The pasta that enveloped the butternut squash was so thin and delicate and the amaretti just gave it some light sweetness and crunch. I loved my pasta. I also got to try a bit of Katie pasta, which I was a bit skeptical about. It was a goat cheese ravioli, but again, the pasta was so thin and light, and that cheese really was just great. I would certainly consider ordering it next time.

And to finish off, we each got a dessert. I got the gelato. After having the wonderful gelato last time at Pizzeria Mozza, I wasn't about to pass it up, and I didn't regret it. It was just as good as last time. Overall, we had a great dinner. Service was pleasant and unintrusive and even better, the food was just great. I really wish Tom had been there, but next time we go to LA, I'll certainly be taking him.

No comments: