Wednesday, April 16, 2008

WHY I DON'T EAT PORK (OR BEEF)

You now those days when you're at work, but you don't actually feel like working and you end up procrastinating all day? Well I'm having one of those days. I would be playing Scrabulous right now, but their servers are down, so I can't access the 4 games I'm currently playing. So I figured I'd blog. While at work yesterday I got a meebo message from this blog. (See the meebo widget to the right? You can message me and if I feel like it, I might respond). Anyway, someone was asking me why I don't eat pork. Now, I know that only about 5 people read this blog, and I know who you all are, but I'm not sure who this person was who messaged me. Maybe it was someone searching for info about Osteria Mozza and had stumbled upon my blog while conducting a Google search. I didn't respond at that time because I was swamped at work, so let's get back to the question at hand. I haven't eaten beef or pork since I was 15.

I gave up beef and pork back when I was teenager and idealistic. Learning about the environment and the amount of resources it took to raise cattle and the deforestation that accompanied it, I thought I'd gradually give up all meat and go vegetarian. Giving up beef and pork was just a first step, but it was a big step for me. As I child, steak and bacon were some of my favorite foods. At on point my cholesterol was so high that my doctor advised that I cut back on red meat. But on a family trip to Texas, I just gave it up and I haven't had either beef or pork since.

But as you can plainly see from my blog, I still eat meat. I just wasn't able to give up the chicken and duck and the other meats that I eat. And at this point, I don't plan to. I've become resigned to the fact that I've given up what I believe I'm willing to give up, and that's good enough for me. Though to be honest, if you look at my previous post about veganism, Tom and I are almost vegetarian most of the week when I'm cooking at night and I think that's pretty good.

No comments: