Tuesday, April 08, 2008

OUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT AROUND (SO FAR)

Before Tom left for Boston we had discussed the places that he was planning on eating. After living a combined 22 years in Boston, we certainly have our favorites that we miss. But after spending a few months living out here, we also have found some favorites that we couldn't find in Boston. For example, Gioia's pizza, you couldn't get a slice like that in Boston, even though it was just 4 hours from NY. And Thai food. We have a lot of places to choose from, but our favorite is called Sabuy Sabuy 2.

Now Sabuy Sabuy is one of those little restaurants that you drive by all the time and wonder, who eats there? (kinda like Family Restaurant in Brookline) And I never would have checked this place out had my co-worker not told me about it. He lives right behind the restaurant and goes there like once a week. (I think we go about twice a month- and it's the place we like to take our out of town guests, so don't be surprised if you're visiting and we end up here for dinner). So we've eaten there quite a few times, but I never got around to blogging about it.

So the owner now recognizes us. He's there all the time taking orders and he's super friendly. Sometimes he'll suggest dishes that you should try, but we pretty much know what we like at this point. This day, I felt like trying something lighter. I had never had their green papaya salad and so I ordered that. Here's it is below.

I must admit, it wasn't my favorite dish that I've had there. The papaya felt kinda soggy, and not as crisp and clean as some other places where I've had it. It also wasn't spicy enough (though I'm sure they would've made it spicier had I asked. The next dish we had I didn't even take a picture of because I was too busy gobbling it up- they have fantastic soft tofu that they'll make into a soup for you, and it's something I always order because the tofu is so soft and delicious. Below is another one of my favorite dishes- spicy chicken wings, which are deep fried chicken wings served in a spicy sweet sauce and topped with one of my favorite things in the world- deep friend basil. mmmmmmmmmmm.
That was everything that I'd ordered, since I was in a light eating mood. But Tom also got an entree- a medium spicy version of pad thai.
Now at this place, when you order something medium, it means it'll be pretty damn spicy. I don't even want to imagine what spicy is like. I had a few bites of this before my tummy ending up saying no more! But other dishes that I've ordered and enjoyed include the green curry and the fried whole fish.

To finish off the owner always brings us a free dish of ice cream. It's homemade and a good way to cool the mouth off from all the spicy food. Overall, this is really our favorite restaurant around, so we hope you enjoy it when we take you during your next visit.

No comments: